Week 3 brought us everything we could ask for. From FCS upsets over FBS schools (Furman beating UCF 16-15), to break out performances from the likes of Chad “Swag” Kelly, and dominating performances from likely candidates with Leonard Fournette dominating the Auburn defense from the opening snap.
The game of the week had to be Ole Miss vs. Alabama. Ole Miss came into the game averaging north of 70 PPG, and yes, we are talking about football and not basketball. Although this early season offensive explosion came against inferior teams, Ole Miss showed that its offense was the real deal on Saturday night. Ole Miss beat Alabama for the second straight year, this time winning in Tuscaloosa 43-37. When you play a Nick Saban led team, sometimes it’s better to be lucky than good. https://vine.co/v/ePzID0w5UBa
Ole Miss is led by former Clemson transfer and nephew of the great Jim Kelly, Chad “Swag” Kelly. Kelly, threw 18/33 for 341 yards and 3 TD’s with 0 INT’s against the very talented Alabama defense. Kelly is showing to be the perfect fit for Hugh Freeze’s offense. Kelly on the season has thrown for 898 yards and a 9/1 TD:INT ratio.
This brings the question, should Kelly be in the Heisman talks? While it maybe a little early to say that Kelly will be in New York, if he keeps playing like he has through the first 3 weeks, don’t be surprised if you find him there.
Top 5 Teams Moving Up
1. Ole Miss Rebels- Going into Tuscaloosa and beating the #2 ranked Crimson Tide should move the previously ranked Rebels into the top 10.
2. Oklahoma Sooners- Offensive coordinator Lincoln Riley and QB #1 Baker Mayfield. That’s all you need to know about the Sooners.
3. LSU Tigers- With the ground attack of Leonard Fournette, are the Tigers ready to go on a magical run through the SEC?
4. Notre Dame Fighting Irish- The Irish proved that the loss of Malik Zaire would not bother them against Georgia Tech.
5. Stanford Cardinal- The early loss to Northwestern might have been a fluke, David Shaw’s crew looked like a power once again by beating Southern Cal on the road.
Top 5 Teams Moving Down
1. Alabama Crimson Tide- 2 straight losses to the Rebels, Nick Saban won’t be happy after he watches the film of this loss.
2. Auburn Tigers- The state of Alabama is probably in a state of emergency with both the Tigers and Tide losing in the same week. Auburn got thrashed from the opening play by LSU.
3. USC Trojans- A tough game against a Stanford team that always plays USC tough, but Steve Sarkisian seems to always have this preseason hype slip through his fingers in a game.
4. Arkansas Razorbacks- All that hype about Arkansas is fading fast. Texas Tech handing the Razorbacks their 2nd straight loss. It’s time for Brett Bielema to close his mouth, and just play football.
5. Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets- The triple option didn’t look so hot in South Bend. Justin Thomas, a dark horse candidate needs to step up his play if GT wants to get to the ACC championship game in Charlotte.
Way To Early Heisman Candidates
1. Leonard Fournette (LSU Tigers)- Through 2 games (LSU had it’s first game cancelled due to weather) Fournette is almost averaging 200 yards a game on the ground, and he’s seen the end zone 6 times already this season.
2. Trevone Boykin (TCU Horned Frogs)- Just casual 6 TD game last night for Boykin. Throwing for 5 and rushing for another.
3. Nick Chubb (UGA Bulldogs)- Chubb kept up his streak of 100 yard games on the ground, he’s at 11 straight. Chubb is 1 away from the UGA record of 12 set by Herschel Walker. Chubb had 159 yards on 21 carries with 2 TD’s against the South Carolina Gamecocks defense.
4. Chad Kelly (Ole Miss Rebels)- Surprise, surprise. Kelly sliced apart the Alabama defense with his arm. Kelly even ran for a score by leaping from the 2 yard line.